blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Saturday, June 5, 2021

Home-style grow op, continued

My indoor kitchen garden mentioned a couple of weeks ago outgrew its space and sucked up nearly all the water in the Vegehome, so I have transferred the seedlings outside. The bok choy and mustard greens are big enough to eat now; I included some leaves in this evening's supper, chicken soup. They can feature in stir fries as well, soon.

I can start again with fresh seeds for the indoor germinator.



The weather finally turned wetter this weekend, which means that I don't have to worry about keeping my plants watered as they acclimatize themselves to the outdoors. Farmers locally have been very worried about the drought throughout May, the driest month on record here (records have been kept for 75 years). Water levels across the Rideau Valley watershed have been well below normal for the time of the year.

Today I submitted the third article of a series on environmental topics to the Lowertown Echo editor. This latest one, regurgitating some of the knowledge I acquired at our meeting with Natasha Jovanovic of Ecology Ottawa, is about eco-friendly gardens.

No comments: