blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Second shot

The end is in sight for the COVID pandemic, in Ottawa at least. Numbers of those afflicted are dropping rapidly and there were only two new cases reported here today, neither serious enough for intensive care. I had my second vaccination this evening, at the vast Nepean Sportsplex, SPLEX for short, so I noticed on the signs when we got there. Chris decided to drive me there; I ate a packed supper in the car. 

The process is worth mentioning for its efficiency, numerous people being employed to guide you first into the correct parking area, then to the entrance you need, then to the series of registration booths, then to your shot-administrator's table, then to your recovery chair (in case you collapse from the shock of the needle or react to the chemicals in the injection) where you have to sit for 15 minutes under discreet surveillance, then to the exit booth, then to the way out. Polite, welcoming faces at every stage. Chris had done all of this last Friday morning. His arm swelled round the injection spot and ached the following day, but since then he has felt no discomfort. Excellent.

Nine days after my first vaccination, mid-April, I had an itchy, lumpy rash, and the top of my arm reddened and (painlessly) puffed up. I mentioned this to the nurse-with-the-needle this evening and she said that a case of COVID Arm after nine days was a relatively rare phenomenon, a delayed immune response, so she went away for a moment to check that it would be OK to administer my second shot; apparently I should be able to tolerate it. I hope so, although it's possible I'll experience another reaction, perhaps more pronounced. It was also possible that the "Prolia" (bone density medication) I was given at the end of last month might have compromised my body's response to this latest injection, but only if I had allowed fewer than four days between the shots. A eight-day gap is fine, so I'm assured.

Our friends, too, are all boasting of their double shots when they get them, in a celebratory mood. The next steps and dates of the "Roll Out" will be announced soon. The hairdressers are back in business.

Two days later, July 8th

For the record, my reaction to the second vaccination was more pronounced. I lost two days there, mostly horizontal and sleeping because it felt like the flu. Headache, affected arm aching if I moved it, numb with cold, teeth chattering, then heating up all over, no energy, no appetite. I resorted to paracetamol, let Chris see to the shopping, meals and answering the phone. But we both think that I'm recovering now. "It's good to see you smiling again," he says.

No comments: