blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Sunday, May 30, 2021

A few books

Here's a juxtaposition of books that have been absorbing me recently. I bought none of them and borrowed none from a library because they were all on our shelves at home. Some I had read before, some not.

At the moment I am discovering Xenophon's Anabasis (ᾰ̓νᾰ́βᾰσῐς): The March Up Country, in a 19th century translation from the ancient Greek. It was the (approximately) 2,400 year-old equivalent of a blog, the story recorded in short episodes. This book I have in the kitchen so that I can pick it up to read during our meals at the kitchen table. In the living room is a similar, fatter book entitled 50 Great Journeys, a British anthology of famous historical adventures compiled in 1968 by a chap called John Canning. I also started reading Flann O'Brien's At Swim-Two-Birds which is so eccentrically Irish I have trouble digesting it. Anthony Burgess was from an Irish family too, but more cosmopolitan in outlook and experience. I reread his dystopian novel The Wanting Seed the other day, and some of his autobiography.

Otherwise, this year, there were these to take my mind off my usual preoccupations ...

  • Tolstoy's Anna Karenin
  • Le Carre's Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
  • Graham Greene's The Honorary Consul
  • Margaret Atwood's relatively early novel, Surfacing
  • Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey (long ago one of the "set books" I had to read at school)
  • William Golding's The Spire
  • A Reginald Hill whodunnit, Recalled to Life
  • Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being
  • Two of Bill Bryson's hilariously rude books: A Walk In The Woods and Notes From A Small Island
  • Steinbeck's East of Eden
  • A collection of Somerset Maugham stories
  • A collection of Robert Fisk's articles: The Age of the Warrior
  • Jane Urquhart's The Underpainter
  • Most of Kipling's Debits and Credits (short stories written shortly after the first world war)
  • Ustinov's The Old Man and Mr Smith. They are God and the Devil in disguise, on a rare visit to earth.
  • Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom! Hard to digest because of the long sentences, shifting time sequences and multiple points of view.
  • Philippa Pearce's children's book, Tom's Midnight Garden
What a mixture!

No comments: