blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Monday, May 31, 2021

A few films

Karen, who runs the CFUW's Movie Club, sent us the list of the movies we had seen and discussed this year, one a month since the start of our season last year. I'm adding the parts of the world they were made in. Nos. 2, 4, 5 and 6 were documentaries, the others fictional feature films. I watched all but No. 7 and thought them an excellent selection. The documentaries in particular provoked such lively debate at our Zoom meetings and in our email exchanges that I wonder whether CFUW-Ottawa might do well to form a Philosophy group also.

  1. Wadja (Oct), Saudi Arabia
  2. What is Democracy? (Nov), Canada, Greece, Italy, USA
  3. Hunt for the Wilderpeople (Dec), New Zealand 
  4. Kiss the Ground (Jan), USA
  5. American Factory (Feb), USA, China
  6. My Octopus Teacher (Mar), South Africa 
  7. The Body Remembers When the World Broke Open (Apr), Canada 
  8. The Intouchables (May), France
For my own part, I don't watch films as often as do some of my friends, but I've recently seen and appreciated The Dressmaker (Australia), Ladies in Black (ditto, not so grim, set in Sydney), Pad Man (India), The African Doctor (France) The Walk (USA, France, about a tight-rope walker with a mission), Summerland (UK) and The Terminal (USA), an enjoyable Steven Spielberg movie starring Tom Hanks.

No comments: