blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Modern Technology

It's been a while since my pilot husband looked at an old-style navigation chart. I still prefer to have one of these on my lap while we're flying, because I like to daydream about the details, but he fixes his attention on his GPS. Both kinds of maps looked good on Sunday when we flew PTN to Picton with John and Jill following in their Comanche, C-FOIB.

The outward flight was up through holes in the cloud then down again when the cloud became too thick, up again as it thinned out towards Lake Ontario. Coming home again in the late afternoon was more on the level with a few showers to penetrate but nothing worth worrying about; between Smiths Falls and Ottawa we saw rainbows which, thanks to modern technology, I was able to capture and and am able to share here.

Yesterday I captured another transient moment when my daughter and grandson were linked to me from over three thousand miles away.

Of course it takes effort to get used to what computers can do for you, but isn't it worth it? Helped by Chris, I also spent a great deal of time last week (wearing my recently donned Canadian Membership Liaison's hat) setting up a database of the 120+ members' details for our Diplomatic Hospitality group, especially when it occurred to me that I could store pictures of them too (to remind me who was who). And the other thing on which I'm spending much time and effort is the transcription of my father's musical compositions into a legible, computer generated format, so that they can be distributed among the family in book form. I can remember when the only way of making copies of his music was for him to scratch the notes onto on a wax stencil pad by hand and have them cyclostyled. The printing process is somewhat easier nowadays. Only I have just realised that having got four sample books printed and bound I have made a mistake with a key signature on the front page ...aargh!

No comments: