blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Buying wigs

Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I went into a wig shop and tried on some wigs. Wearing them felt like wearing woolly hats and for obvious reasons they are all voluminous and have fringes (bangs). Most of them made me look like a Thing From Beyond The Grave. The blonde ones looked marginally better on me than the dark haired variety, but none of them suited me and in any case I had no intention of buying any. I was having some lighthearted fun while the friend I accompanied was engaged in a far more serious search. She has a prescription for a wig which means that she pays no tax on the one she chose. The better quality wigs are not cheap.

About to start a course of chemotherapy in the new year my friend has no choice about whether to change her appearance or not. She has been told that very shortly her hair will fall out, and that is not so funny. Luckily she did find an artificial head of hair that really suited her although the interior may turn out to tickle or feel scratchy against her skin, in which case a 2 dollar skullcap will have to line it. It was made with "human hair from Asia", so the wig assistant told us, and must be washed with hydrating shampoo to keep it in good shape.

No comments: