blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Talking about Paul Guimard

I revealed my interest in this relatively unknown French writer to some French ladies today, telling them about his life and his books until we ran out of time. It was such a pleasure to hear them agreeing with me that this man's choice of words is powerful enough to cause shivers of appreciation. The annoying thing is that, because they're out of print and therefore mostly unobtainable, especially outside of France, I couldn't distribute any of his novels to the audience I'd managed to enthuse—I didn't want to hand out my own copies for fear of losing them.

In my living room I have a pile of these books (in paperback) in chronological order:

Rue du Havre
L'Ironie du Sort
Les Choses de la Vie
Le Mauvais Temps
L'Empire des Mers
Un Concours de Circonstances

and

L'Age de Pierre

Guimard's earliest novel, Les Faux-Frères, which I have on order from amazon.fr, hasn't arrived yet; I have just ordered his last published book, Les Premiers Venus.

No comments: