blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Some Danish words

While in Copenhagen I noticed some Danish vocabulary, of course, and found it easy to read but not so easy to comprehend when listening. The pronunciation would need closer scrutiny.

Hej!–– Hello
ja––yes
nej–– no
Tak!––Thanks
Tüsen tak!––Many thanks! (i.e. a thousand thanks)
naeste station–– next station
naermeste station–– nearest station
lufthavnen––airport
universitetet
[hoved]banegård––[central] railway station
rådhus––city hall
plads––square

The menus were instructive. Among the Varme drikke, I didn't fancy the choice of varm kakao med flødeskum which sounds disgusting, even if it is hot chocolate with whipped cream.

Here are some more Danish words for food and drink:

øl––ale / beer (not oil, as I assumed)
salt
brød
maelk
kaffe
te
mandlet––almonds
smør––butter

and here are some general purpose words I picked up:

utgang––exit
udland––abroad
dag––day
tog––train
bog––book
bryg––brew
Skål!––Cheers!
bager––baker, bakery
lille––little
Velkommen!––Welcome!
fra ... til–– from ... till
rund––round
tårn––tower
slot––castle
palads––palace
bro––bridge
kanal––canal
Jul––Christmas
trae––tree
God Jul!––Happy Christmas!

And the Danish numbers 1-10, are:

en, to, tre, fire, fem, seks, syv, otte, ni, ti

I never needed to say Undskyld mij! for "Excuse me. Sorry!" but I learned it just in case.

No comments: