blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Friday, January 16, 2015

What to do on a cold day in Ottawa


The Smithvale Stables on Carling Avenue offers horse-drawn wagon rides through their woods and fields, the wagon being fitted with sleigh runners. This morning the weight of the wagon, loaded with diplomats and their friends and children, broke the icy crust that had formed on top of the snow, blown into drifts. Some of us walked in its wake on snowshoes.

Uschi on the right was borrowing my husband's snowshoes

Coming back to the barn into wind, the windchill was a bitter -24º: I had my tubular scarf over my face again, right up to my eyes, plus a hat, plus the hood of my padded coat. It was still cold. The inside of the barn (aka "Banquet Hall") warmed us up though, with the usual hot chocolate and chilli beef to go with the other food we'd brought, and a trio of musicians––co-incidentally called "The Diplomats"––kept us entertained and got us dancing, especially the three young sisters who'd come along with their grandmother on this school-free (PD) day.

Sisters inventing a dance to the music in the barn

No comments: