blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Friday, June 24, 2016

Anger and tears from across the Pond

These are some of the reactions I have seen on Facebook this morning, from my British friends (and their friends), to the result of the EU referendum:

  • I know that [Facebook] is probably going to be a wall of text today from everyone weighing in their two cents and I've tried to stay out of all of that until now, but I am so, SO gutted that the older generation have chosen to limit MY generation's future all because of your xenophobic, Little England mentality. A victory for paranoia, xenophobia, right-wing populism. Nigel [Farage] "has his country back" and it's in tatters.
  • The turkeys have been convinced that they're not turkeys. And that Christmas meant free unicorns for every turkey.
  • Sadly, I fear it actually means they will be well stuffed, roasted, and served with extra pigs in blankets.
  • My anger was spent at the appalling misinformation and ideological blinkeredness by rich politicians with no understanding or empathy with the people this decision will effect most. Now I'm in tears.
  • Im still in the anger phase of my grieving process.
  • I’m so angry. A generation given everything: free education, golden pensions, social mobility, have voted to strip my generation’s future.
  • Very sad. Words fail me.
  • Well, the British electorate voted in the party they deserved, but this....! Will any EU country have me? More importantly will they realise, for example, the falling pound, is their fault or will they find someone else to blame?
  • I'm still a European ... just with my freedom and choices severely limited.
  • I was seriously considering spending a year teaching somewhere in Europe next year. Guess I'll have to scrap that idea.
  • Britain ... oh dear, you idiots! Travel to mainland Europe is about to get a lot more expensive ... no more EU enforced affordable mobile coverage, no more European wide medical treatment (EHIC gone, leading to inflated travel insurance), and poor exchange rates. One of the more trivial consequences, but an illustration of the everyday impact this likely leave vote will have.
  • Devastated. Baffled. Mainly Ashamed.
  • Cameron's legacy will be forcing an EU referendum which has divided the nation and resulted in our exit from the EU, of which only a small majority of the electorate desire, followed by a new PM put in place without the mandate of the electorate.
  • I'm going to say that the root cause is bonding with other human beings by blaming the people who are not in the room for everything.
  • There's one sentence that springs to mind, "Forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” A very sad day for the likes of me, for all who dream borders and nation-states would be a thing of history, an error of the past ...
  • What have we done? Allowing the general public their say? We are not the experts. It's ridiculous! It shouldn't have come to this!
  • The only glimmer of hope is that most young people voted to stay in. Now we all need to engage more in politics and confront all lies and bigotry where we see it. Even in our own families. We cannot afford the rise of the right.
  • Right, so now we're in the odd position that MPs have to make a decision that the majority of them don't want. If the EU offers a deal saying "we'll continue our relationship exactly as before except that you won't have a say any more" would they accept it?
  • I was with a group of pensioners yesterday (all male except for me) and they were overwhelming Leavers. I think there's a nostalgia for pre-Thatcherism, without remembering the bad things ...
  • Youth voted 75% to Stay. I am ashamed for my cohort who wanted out.
  • If you voted leave, you have swallowed the lies of the fascist manipulating right wing racist press.
  • Too horrified to post anything useful.


I added a post myself:
"This land of such dear souls, this dear dear land, 
Dear for her reputation through the world ... .
...England, that was wont to conquer others, 
Hath made a shameful conquest of itself."

(Shakespeare)

1 comment:

DeSelby said...

I am so glad you posted all the comments from young people. It's a travesty that their future is at risk because of people of our generation who want to resuscitate a past that never existed.