blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

A moment of tranquility

From the Winterreise, song number 20, Der Wegweiser.
... und ich wandere sonder Maßen ohne Ruh und suche Ruh ...
(... and I wander on and on, unresting, in search of rest ...)
Ruh' (Ruhe) also means quietness, silence, tranquility, peace.

Chris sings that line with great feeling; anyone would, because we're all longing for relief from disturbances.


For a few moments at a time I sometimes find that relief by going outside and stopping under the trees by the river, near our house, and drinking in their colours and shapes. It's not a permanent escape from news in the papers or on the screen, or from phone calls and TO-DO lists, but it helps.


I've no idea whether or not this habit would be of benefit to other people; I know that it works for me.

No comments: