blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Thirty different nationalities

I'm preparing a programme of German songs to present to our Konversationsgruppe at the German Ambassador's residence tomorrow morning and will probably describe that in my blog tomorrow. In the meantime I've been thinking about the people who are members of our group, since our co-ordinator, Rosemary, has asked me to read out her report of our year's German conversations at a meeting this Friday. In this report she lists the countries we come from. Every Thursday this year I have been meeting not only people from Canada and Germany, but also from Bulgaria, Croatia, Egypt, Estonia, Japan, Macedonia, the United States, Switzerland, Brazil, Britain, Russia, Australia, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Indonesia, the Ukraine and Latvia.

I have been part of the group for twelve years now, and in previous years we've been joined by others from Austria, Slovakia, Trinidad, Romania, Benin, Belgium, Turkey, India, Italy, Myanmar and Iceland, all wanting to keep up their German. But those people have all left Ottawa now. We miss them, every one.

No comments: