blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Friday, September 26, 2008

Aschenbrödel or Aschenputtel

The traditional German story gives her one name, the Swiss version another. I saw Prokofiev's ballet Aschenbrödel with my children in Bern, in 1980, and kept the programme for it, which I showed to our Konversationsgruppe yesterday after we had read the story in German, talking about its different versions and origins.

We met at Vija's house in the woods at Carp, golden leaves all around us, and sang Lustig ist das Zigeunerleben! and O wie wohl ist mir am Abend in three parts. Tanya said if there were more singing in the world there'd be fewer wars; therefore music teaching in schools should be given a much higher priority. I think she's right.

No comments: