blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

A sudden craving for simplicity

Our son and his bride in the foothills of the Himalaya
This turned out to be a dramatic week for us, with my son just out of hospital in Szechuan (suffering from altitude sickness after a wedding-photo shoot in the wilds), now recovering in Beijing, and my daughter in hospital in London with our new grandson, Thomas James, born yesterday after an emergency Caesarian operation. We're thrilled with the news of his safe arrival.

Thomas James, one day old, photo by his father
Here in Canada, meanwhile, we're in the throes of planning our trip to China with round-the-world flights, while my husband's company celebrates the launch of the Playbook and his publishers launch his commercial pilot training manual, Flying Beyond, of which I have just received two copies, though it's not yet advertised on-line.

I managed to complete the Spring Edition of Crosswinds in time for the Flying Club's AGM last Saturday and this week I started work on the Summer Edition. It's also the tax-return season, and we have to make a sensible decision about casting our votes in the General Election on May 2nd.

I pick up our VISAs for China from the Consulate next Monday and the last lesson of my Chinese course is on Tuesday. I have a lengthening "to do" list and have started on the packing.

This morning a friend from the Quaker meeting we used to attend in Wales sent me an email. Kay and her husband are going to spend Easter on the shore of the little town of Borth on the Welsh coast. They treated us to a weekend there, once upon a time. I don't want to sound unappreciative of the excitement we've had recently, but I suddenly wish we were with Kay and Andy in Borth once again, escaping for a moment from the nervous tension of our present lives.

Borth (Wikipedia image)

No comments: