blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

What's best?

To my amusement, words change, or the use of them does.

When my parents were young, superlative things were spiffing, wonderful or marvel(l)ous, as in this Gershwin song


When I was young, such things were fabulous. Since when I remember fantastic, great, super, wicked, cool, brilliant (brill) all meaning much the same. Recently, things that deserve a superlative adjective––or not, depending––have been, like, awesome, but I have a feeling that word will be replaced soon, too. I wonder what will replace it.

Any suggestions?

No comments: