blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Monday, May 6, 2019

Restart

I have screwed up my blog, so far this year. And at the end of last year. Finally, during the next week, I might be able to record some of my juxtaposed thoughts and experiences: we're setting off for Sweden where I'll have a week to myself in a place called Eskilstüna while my husband is at work there. I'm starting this post in the Departures Lounge at Ottawa airport. This evening we board a flight for Copenhagen in YYZ, Toronto, travelling on a Dreamliner for the first time. With any luck we shall be in Stockholm by "lunchtime" which I put in inverted commas because there's a 6-hour time zone difference to contend with. Some SAS flights are being cancelled, due to their pilots' strike, but we were told by Air Canada that ours (SK1420, CPH to ARN) is not. We are booked into a Scandic hotel just a block away from the one where we stayed about a year ago.

Unlike my husband, who prefers to be under his own control and fly his own plane, I like the setting-off moments. As soon as we reach the airport, he feels tense while I begin to relax, with a tune humming round my head:
... Heaven is in goodbye, my dear, it's time for me to go ...
with the effort of preparation behind me and the latest adventure ahead. We are leaving disruption behind in any case; the basement of our house is going to get new floors, etc., so we're well out of it. We had to move everything movable out of the way before the contractor and his colleague, the electrician, start work there tomorrow. Some people think I'm too trusting, leaving them to it like that.

I'm leaving work behind me too. Cleaning and tidying, gardening, shopping, washing, cooking, editing. I edited seven issues of the Capital Carillon and am happy to take a break now.

No comments: