blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Friday, June 4, 2010

Chinese supper

During the four days when Chris' work was undergoing a technical audit, one of his colleagues invited him, another (Chinese-Canadian) colleague and the auditors to supper at the Yangtze Dining Lounge in China Town, and I went along too. Now that my son has a girlfriend from Beijing I'm interested in all things Chinese in any case.

We sat at a circular table with a lazy Susan in the centre from which we could help ourselves to the various serving bowls. We began with bowls of freshly brewed green tea, and I forget of what all the dishes consisted, but there was a corn and crabmeat soup, very tasty, crispy beef, crispy chicken, rice (of course), tofu and shrimps. The vegetable dish was steamed green shoots that tasted of, but didn't look like, peas. Dessert was fruit salad with lychees for Frank and me, ice cream for the four Englishmen (!), and Yi chose a creamy tofu with ginger syrup.

The Yangtze River, by the way, is the third longest in the world. I didn't know that.

No comments: