blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Not yet mentioned

(This post should have been published at the beginning of June. I found it still in the drafts folder.)

We went to a rehearsal of Verdi's Requiem at the NAC, some of our friends singing in the choir for this.

With the Diplomatic Hospitality group I had a guided tour of the new Van Gogh exhibition at the National Gallery and afterwards took a look at the other recently talked-about exhibit there, The Clock.

One day, Chris and I drove to Syracuse airport in the USA and I drove back across the border on my own, a one-way distance of over 300 kilometres, or 200 miles if you still think in those units (you have to, down there), for the sake of a replacement GPS unit that had been installed in PTN. Our newly equipped plane brought Chris back safe and sound and at the weekend he took me up for a flight as well so that I could witness the GPS in action during an instrument approach to Gatineau airport.

I joined in the gardening at the Flying Club on the spring clean day and helped a little at Elva's house as well. We found a garden centre in town that's run by someone I know and bought some plants there.

I've been reading books ("A Man of Parts" by David Lodge––about HG Wells, "A Sense of the World––How a Blind Man became History's Greatest Traveler" by Jason Roberts) and watching videos (Route 132, Passport to Pimlico, The Shipping News, Look Back In Anger––a good variety of films there) and next month I'll be attending quite a few concerts, having bought myself a festival pass to the Music and Beyond series. As one of the "Early Birds," buying my pass over a month in advance, I saved myself $15. Attendance at the festival costs me $85 and, impossible as it is, if I were go to all of the 21 performances that take my fancy, that would work out at just over $4 per world class concert.

The other thing worth recording is our visit to the city's sewage treatment plant, which I'll describe in my other blog.

No comments: